Mineshaft Gap

It's a screening log, no more no less. Maybe I'll have something interesting to say one of these days...


Silence.

I'll admit, there is something in me that resists silent films. Perhaps it's my conditioning by the media of the 1980s and 1990s, or just some genetic predisposition, but they can't get to me and I am usually somewhat bored. This is sad, because otherwise I might think F.W. Murnau's Sunrise was the greatest film of all time.

Certainly one of the most beautiful and moving, it is a great entry point for me to just what those critics that decryed sound were talking about. This film simply would not work with dialogue, it's expressionism is plain and untouched by that use of sound. Instead it combines amazing imagery with a moving melodrama to produce a height of drama. Maybe now I'll finally get it.

0 Responses to “Silence.”

Post a Comment