Mineshaft Gap

It's a screening log, no more no less. Maybe I'll have something interesting to say one of these days...


Forget it Jake.

Chinatown (Polanski, 1974)

Since I am reading Bingham's Acting Male right now, I've decided to watch and re-watch some of the 70s Nicholson classics. I first watched Chinatown when I was about 16 and it confused me(though what didn't at that age). Rewatching it again last night, it is amazing how subversive and genuinely disturbing a film it is. Far more horrific in its end than Rosemary's Baby, the film pulls back the curtain on paternalism so brilliantly because it suckers you in so completely. Polanski, from Towne's brilliant script, effortlessly builds the tension and lays out the mystery, playing you all along until the true plot hits you when you least expect.

0 Responses to “Forget it Jake.”

Post a Comment